PIECE'A LISA

Everything you can imagine is real -Pablo Picasso

Thursday, February 09, 2006

CC for me me

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Let me begin by saying that I, my friends, AM A HUGE NERD! it's true, and i thought you all should know. i should be ashamed to admit why, but i am not. it is simply because i love to have the closed captioning on whilst i am watching your everyday tv shows. it's not that i have the sound off or anything, no, the sound is on, but i enjoy reading along with my favorite shows as well as the news. you'd be surprised at how many interesting things come over the CC that don't get said on the news stations, and you can always tell when they mess up reading off of their prompters... you probably wouldn't be surprised though at how many people have made fun of me when we are casually watching tv at my house and i realize that i have forgotten to turn them off.

anyways, this morning i was watching music videos on MTV. (i know i was as surprised as you that they still play music videos on MTV, but it was in the morning, when not many people are watching, so that is likely why) i was watching them intermittently while i was getting ready. one of the music videos was Matisyahu, a new-to-the-scene jewish rapper, who sounds an awful lot like Bob Marley. his message is an extremely positive one about faith. he honestly conveys his faith/spirituality openly which compels me to respect his artistry and message. when i was reading the lyrics on the CC they kept putting a hyphen in God, so that it was G-d, as though it was a bad word that had to be bleeped out. i was momentarily outraged that MTV would do such a thing until I went to Matisyahu's website only to find that that is how he has God's name written in his bio. what is up with that? can any of you explain to me why he would want to put a hyphen in God's name, it's like when people turn Christmas into x-mas.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger The Harris Family said...

Lisa, my friend, I can explain the G-D thing...

It's cuz he's Jewish. The Jews don't ever write the name of God, ever.

I'm not entirely sure why, but it's connected to their theology. I think it has to do with keeping the name holy.

Cheers, friend. Planning a trip to London yet? I see Annika in a week and a half! :o)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Annika said...

Lisa, you have so done the CC thing in front of me... when you had a party going down at your house. :) That officially makes you a nerd, if it was in question before. But. I enjoyed it thorougly. So I will join you in the nerd fleet. Can I get a shirt or a pin or something? Do we have to pay dues?

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I found a new house to move into next year since no one wanted to stay int he one that i am in now an hte new house has much cheeper rent. hey do you still want some help with the set for peter pan sorry ive been really busy this week building the set for mice and men and restoring an 80 year old fly system. by the way our mens choir is going to be performing a night concert in fon du lac a week from this thursday if you can make it. let me know and i will give you directions to where it is

 

Post a Comment

<< Home